Wed Jun 27 2001, 07:52 AM PDT
I have decided to go back to Johannesburg to investigate buying a motorbike there. It may not work out, but I thought it was worth a shot. Unfortuately, the transportation situation is really bad right now, and I will have a very hard time getting a flight to Cairo. I am even having a hard time getting a bus to Jo'burg. It seems that all the Zimbabwean women travel to S. Africa at the end of the month to go shopping, and all the buses are booked up for the next week. So in order to avoid being stuck any longer in Harare, I will have to take a series of uncomfortable local buses, which will no doubt be a travel nightmare.
I was hoping to get out of here yesterday, but I have been shopping, both for myself and for my friend Emily who left me a shopping list of things she wanted from Harare. I spent all day shopping and packing, but I missed the post office by 1/2 hour. So today I went back, and after about three hours, managed to send off 35kg of stuff!
I have a ticket for a night bus this evening, but the way things are going, I don't know if it will go or not. If things go as planned, I'll be at Beit Bridge (the S. African border) tomorrow morning.